Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One Trout - Nymph Time

What a beautiful day! I just had to go for a quick fish this morning. The lake is busier than I've ever seen it, six people! The big question is always 'Which fly to I start with?' - I decide to put on a small green nymph. I'm off to   the top of the lake, the wind in north westerly and my casting is not good enough in the wind yet.

I'm practising the double haul and really struggling, I just cant seen to get it right. Been trying to get the muscle memory for the actions (see video above) but when I attempt to put the rod in my hand all the line just ends up in a pile at my feet. I think that I should practice away from the lake, maybe in the garden.

Anyway, back to the fish. One cast and the green nymph is in and I've got a fish! So fast I hardly felt it take. I move round the lake to different spots, dry flies, CDC Buzzers, sedges - nothing.

Now at the bottom side I see a chap just pulling out the fish, 3 in 5 minutes - he's using a bronze nymph. Its really tiny and he's just jerking it through the water. The fish are going mad for it! I try for a few minutes and eventually settle for my 1 trout. Two hours, a beautiful setting and one fish - how lucky I am.

PS: The lake was restocked last week so fishing should be good for the rest of the season now - well in theory!

No comments:

Post a Comment